See ya, 2015

2015 has been like a visiting house guest, wonderfully welcome at first followed by an inevitable relational conflict, and ending with a warm hug but an under-the-breath "get the fuck out of here." 2015 came, she hurt, she healed, and now I want her to get the fuck out of here. But first, let's recap.

I spent the first half of 2015 with a tall, bearded man who taught me how to properly mince a scallion, how to play chess (kinda), and most significantly how it felt to be really loved. In the months that followed, we shared so much with each other: entrées, stories, blankets, bottles of wine. I had someone to say good night to every night, and I was devastated when those "good nights" ended so abruptly. A lot of bad nights followed, but the people I love most in life swooped in, and quite frankly, saved me. My mom came to stay for a long weekend to help me pack, and my Brooklyn lady tribe helped me, literally and figuratively, move on. On July 1st, I moved back to Downing St with two new roommates who I knew instantly after meeting that I would love. The rest of the summer was spent going to the beach with friends, drinking too much in the sunshine, and trying my best to take care of myself. Then, so many visitors and trips.. In August, my Theta crew came to visit. In September, I went to Boston to see KG and ND. In October, I flew to Denver for KS's wedding and to see LS. In November I went back to South Dakota for my dad's memorial jam, and EH came to town over Thanksgiving weekend. In between those busy weekends away, I had many dinners with ELM and her family, and I went to concerts, took mandolin lessons, and saw the pope! I went on some bad, some ok, and a couple really good dates with bearded Brooklyn boys (it's no secret I have a type). I laughed so much, cried a little less, and probably drank more than is recommended by most dietary guidelines.  At the end of the day and at the end of this year, I'm just so outrageously grateful to have such fun, generous, kind people* around me. Also, that I dodged one hell of a bullet.

Zora Neale Hurston once wrote, "There are years that ask questions and years that answer.” Here's to hoping for a brand new year of answers, because man-oh-man was 2015 a head scratcher!





*GG, LJK, SS, CH, CS, MA, EH, JK, MMC, MC, HR, ELM, RS, ET, DB, VR, LS, TBK, CS, AO, KT, KS, KG, ND, KB, TS, SD, PP, AL, DL, KA, AH, LC, JT (you all know who you are)


Comments

  1. Love this. More writing in 2016 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2015 was rough--and you survived! You're already a step ahead in the game of life! 2016 will be cake! I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"