Some things in my life, *if you were wondering

*but you probably were not

A few weeks ago my college girlfriends came to visit, and it was, as they say, the tits. And I don't just mean because three times a day, new mama KT had to pump and dump her alcohol tainted breast milk. It was so great because all 6 of us got to spend real quality time completely uninterrupted by children/spouses/work. We just got to hang. It was the breast. I mean the best.

I turned 29 since the last time I wrote. I'm a new number now! The end of 28 was hard and hurtful and heavy, so I was happy to usher in a fresh new year, even if it does bring me closer to 30. I celebrated by doing the following of my favorite BK activities: Dough donuts in the AM on a stranger's stoop, bike ride past the Williamsburg waterfront, a fresh tattoo (more on that later), and a lovely outside dinner at Saraghina with some of my most beloved lady friends. Year 28 had some of my highest highs and lowest lows, so I'm hoping year 29 evens out a bit (but I know I've said that before).

Back to my birthday tat.. An artist name Nicole (whose birthday was the same day!) inked four little black birds--three on my right arm and one on my left. As the name of this blog may suggest, birds are kind of my thing. They are also a Portlandia skit that makes me a little self-conscious, but I swear I love them for a reason that's original! I love that one of the birds is on it's own, leading the pack. It's symbolic for several reasons, but I love how brave she is, even if a little lonely. I get that.

I'm learning to play an instrument! I, Amanda Lynn, am going to learn to play the mandolin! Get it? I've always felt an affinity for the instrument (it's the password to all my things!), and I finally decided that--what the heck--let's do this. I bought a couple "teach yo self" books and have been watching youtube videos like crazy. My friend CS randomly happens to own a mandolin and is letting me borrow it until I get so good that I buy my own (ha!). After acquiring all of the tools for my new mandolin playing enterprise, I realized that it's kind of hard, so yesterday I bit the bullet and put an 8-week music class on my credit card. I can't wait to be "Amanda Lynn who plays the mandolin" though that's so dorky to say.. don't ever let me repeat it.

I've been using the personal pronoun way to much in this post. Now's the time I write about others. My new roommates SD and TS are like that old country song "Angels Among Us." They are super healthy and hilarious, and though my move in with roommates on July 1st wasn't one that I was expecting, they have made it better than I thought it could be. They have been my beach buddies, drinking buddies, and stay-in-on-a-Saturday-watching-a-RomCom buddies. I'm so glad they picked me as their roommate. I really needed this win.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"