I work at the Empire State Building, but I called in sick today

I started a job on Tuesday at the Empire State Building, and it has been awful. I have never hated a job so much in my life. I do not excel at Excel.

Then I got an interview at the New York Public Library (my dream job) on Friday at 9am that was one block away. I usually don't work until 10am at the ESB but on Thursday night before I left work, I found out that on Fridays I have to be at work at 9am.

I decided to call in sick to work and go to the interview instead.

At 8:45 I got off the train at the 34th St subway station and walked to Madison Ave for my library interview.  I walked on 35th street because I didn't want to see anyone from work and have to explain to them why I wasn't actually "sick."



After the interview as I was getting walked out to the lobby, someone stopped me and told me  that there had been an incident on 34th street, and that I wasn't allowed to leave yet.

I took out my phone to google, and I found out that there had been a shooting outside the Empire State Building at the exact same time that I would have been going in, had I not got this interview and had I not called in sick.

I'm safe in Brooklyn now, watching live news reports and thinking that this interview really was meant to be.

Thinking of those less fortunate now.

Comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"