Top Songs of 2018

Inspired by my friend Barry (read: Barack Obama), I, too, have compiled a list of my favorite songs in 2018. Less jazz, more Ariana Grande (plus my own commentary, because I have things to say!)

Every Time I Hear That Song by Brandi Carlile

This song was also on Obama's list, and it should be on everyone's list, as far as I'm concerned. In 4 minutes and 2 seconds, this song so perfectly captures the complexities of heartbreak and forgiveness and that even as time passes, a simple melody can bring it all rushing back. That's what this song does to me.

Fallingwater by Maggie Rogers

I'm going to be honest here--I don't really know what this song is even about. I do know that I can't sit still or silent when I hear it. I become immersed in it. It moves me. Like falling water. Hey--Maybe that's what it's about!

Wasting Time by Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats

Though BD only makes [dad] jokes about what "our song" is, I've decided that this one is it. We've seen this Denver based band three times together, and whenever I hear this song, I clutch my heart dramatically at the line: "Think of all the love you gain when you send it over/ Think of all the wool I've spin to be here tonight." We both have spun a lot of wool to be together.

Never Mind by Dennis Lloyd

I have nothing deep or philosophical to say about this song. I just love listening to it when I'm getting ready to go out in my little apartment. I'm listening to it right now actually, and damn it's catchy!

A Brighter Love by St. Lucia

I heard this song for the first time this summer at the Westword Music Showcase with EH and friends. EH and I got free tickets and even though her ACL was torn, it didn't hold us back from jumping around to music all night. This tune ended up being my summer jam and listening to it now, I can almost taste the quasi-warm Coors Lights of that night.

Caroline by Anime

I heard this song on someone's Insta-story this year and was like--WHAT IS THAT I NEED THAT SONG IN MY LIFE. I think it's actually a couple of years old, and I don't know anything about the song or the artist but it sounds so good in my car. Also I have all the lyrics memorized. Will perform upon request.

Light on by Maggie Rogers

Here's another Maggie tune and one that I heard her perform for the first time at Red Rocks this summer. The song is about holding out a little hope for someone, making an agreement that "If you keep reaching out/ Then I'll keep coming back. And if you're gone for good/ Then I'm okay with that." I think it's a sweet way of honoring an old flame without that hope holding you back. "If you leave the light on/ I'll leave the light on."

Meant to Be by Bebe Rexha (feat. Florida Georgia Line)

Ok I really dislike Florida Georgia Line, like a lot, but I heard this song this summer driving home from BD's apartment and I found the simple, repetitive lyrics to be a little comforting. "If it's meant to be, It'll be... just let it be." That band is terrible though.

Thank U, Next by Ariana Grande

There aren't enough positive break-up songs in the world, and that's why I'm so glad this one exists. I'm not going to quote any lyrics here because there's no single line that has me like--wow, what a poet she is! Just kidding, "I'm so fuckin' grateful for my ex" is practically Emily Dickinson.

My God Has a Telephone by The Flying Stars of Brooklyn NY

I discovered this song on a drive in the mountains, and immediate wanted to hear 3 more hours of songs just like. A week later, my friend EP sent me this song in a text out of the blue. It was meant to be in my life, and now it is. It should be in your life too!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposites Game