Wait, June is over?? (I'm seeing a trend)

It's July now, but here are some things that happened in June..

On June 1st, I simultaneously babysat, dogsat, and did my actual job from home, proving that I can "do it all" (you know, for like 8 hours). Then I packed up a picnic dinner with CM and went to Red Rocks to see Murder by Death, The Wood Brothers, and The Devil Makes Three.  I ran into CH and TR in the parking lot, and our groups merged, collectively grooving together to the tunes all night. By 10:30, though, I could barely keep my eyes open and that's when I realized that "doing it all" is possible, but damn it's exhausting. I needed a full day to recover.

EH, Nezy, and I had a picnic in Cheeseman park, and PD and her bf joined us as the sun went down. I offered to give everyone a ride home, and EH asked to borrow PD's boyfriend's longboard to ride on the sidewalk out of the park. EH was wearing a full length white floral summer dress, and as she boarded down the hill, her long black hair and white dress fluttered in the wind. I swear to God she looked like an swan floating in the twilight, until--she wiped out. Though it appeared to be a graceful tumble, many tears, bags of ice, hours spent googling, and one MRI later revealed that EH had torn her ACL. It turns out that EH isn't a swan, and as her Orthopedic surgeon pointed out so lovingly, she's not a "spring chicken" anymore either.

TBK and her boys (husband and baby B) came to Denver for her birthday weekend, and we had the best freaking time. I feel like I have a special connection to Baby B because he came into the world the night after I threw T a baby shower (also 5 weeks before the world was expecting him); I think he did it on purpose just to meet me. 16 months later, having him in Denver to pal around with was the best. We took him to B's pool, and he scooted around in his baby floatie, accumulating adoring fans at all corners of the pool. We also took him to his first Rockies game, where I didn't know we would meet so many fellow KC fans. TBK and I had some much needed girls time together too. We got pedicures, drank wine, and stumbled upon a punk rock drag show at a brewery--you know, a regular Friday night. The weekend was full of girl talk and baby talk and it both filled me up and chilled me out.

B and I had an impromptu Friday night get-a-way in Boulder to celebrate his birthday. We stayed at the St. Julien and wore lush robes and ate great chocolate and had an 8-course meal with wine pairings that left us with satisfied taste buds and dizzy heads. Because B leaves town and returns again so often and for such unexpected lengths, I sometimes feel like our relationship is like an episode of the Bachelor (I don't watch the show--but I think this is what happens). One minute we're drinking champagne sitting first class on a flight to San Francisco and the next minute he's gone and I'm alone eating canned tuna on my couch watching old episodes of Younger. Sometimes I miss the mundane aspects of being in a relationship. I miss guessing songs on the radio and going for neighborhood strolls and drinking sour beer on my couch together. Being wined and dined is lovely, don't get me wrong, but I also sometimes crave more than what's on the menu. Sometimes I just want him.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"