Girlfriends > Boyfriends

I've been striking out hard on the boyfriend lottery, but with girlfriends I've hit the freakin' MOTHER LODE! I think that maybe I lucked out so much with the women in my life that the universe was like, "oh, we better stick her with some asshole dudes to even things out." And honestly, if that is the case I think I'll take it. Men can break me, as long as I have women to put me back together. These last few weeks my lady pit crew has been doing just that.

CH and TR brewed me heartbreak healing potion (essential oils) and LJK and CH sent me snail mail with pep talks and self-care recommendations. HR suggested books to read and music to listen to. LS checked in throughout the day and the week, letting me cry and analyze about the same 10 things over and over again. LJK suggested a trip, listing ideas of foreign cities and other future adventures. PD brought me pho and red wine and sat on my couch listening while I recanted every blissful then painful memory I could think of. MA and NS went on walks in parks with me because I couldn't sit still. SS and HR read email draft after email draft with thoughtful feedback and support.

When boyfriends leave you, girlfriends show up more than ever. They speak tenderly of your heartache and profanely about the idiot who caused it. They tell you they're so mad at that dickwad that they thought about messaging him themselves, asking "What the f*ck is wrong with you?!" Girlfriends tell you you can call them any time, and they really mean it. Sometimes you need to. They carefully navigate the oh-so-cathartic but kind of misogynistic ritual of shit-talking the other woman (you keep each other in check though--it's not all her fault). Girlfriends proofread emails and tell you if you should actually send them or "maybe wait a few days." They remind you of past heartbreak when you didn't think you'd survive, but then you did. They promise you will this time, too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"