So I Moved (Part 3): Now What Do I Do?

Once I made it to Denver, I unpacked my Jeep and put all my belongings in LS's storage unit (Thanks, girl!). LS graciously let me stay with her in Englewood for my first week while I got settled, and all I really remember from that week was aggressively trying to reconnect with every single person that I knew in this city. A job and apartment would come eventually,  I figured, but I needed friends, and I needed friends stat.

That week I had breakfast with JF at Snooze, a picnic with KS in Wash Park, lunch with WL, a baseball game with AI, and even a blind friend date with another friend's friend SH. Oh yeah, I meant business. The hardest part of leaving New York was leaving the people, so that was the first box I needed to check in Denver, and I will say, I did a pretty damn good job.

10 days into my new Denver life, I moved into a 7-week sublet in West Wash Park with two fat cats named Crookshanks and Chow. Their owner/kitty mama was on a backpacking adventure in Slovenia, and she had given me discount rent in exchange for keeping her cats well-fed and well-snuggled. I loved that apartment: the record player, the big kitchen counter, the giant window next to my bed. I woke up early every morning because the birds chirped so loudly and the sun shone so brightly. It was so idyllic it was almost cliche. But it wasn't cliche; I think that's just Colorado?


Although I was starting to carve out a little life for myself in Denver, tears still flowed for Brooklyn. I missed walking past a mosque on my way to get groceries at Mr. Melon, and I missed hearing the neighborhood steel drum band practicing on Saturday afternoons. I missed taking the A train to go to Rockaway beach, and yes, I did just admit that I missed the subway. Mostly, though, I missed my people. The friends-turned-family who I spent so many hours with, doing fun things with or not fun things with or doing absolutely nothing at all.

Here's the part where I thank God/Allah/Queen Bey for LS who had been living in Denver while getting her PhD but was leaving in August to take a professor job in South Dakota (sidebar: how kick ass is that?!). Without LS's friendship (and her washer/dryer), the beginning chapter of my Denver story would have been darker and a lot more lonely. She was my guiding light, introducing me to farmer's markets and great breakfast spots, cool movie theaters and the best Target in town. More than just showing me around, she let me be sad, let me vent, and let me be me. When she left in August, my already fragile heart broke a little more, but it was eased by the gratitude that I felt that we had been able to share this time together at all. Denver with Leah was Wonderful.






SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"