KG: we met in 'Nam

I'm so excited that my favorite grad school girl and soul sister is coming to my city for the weekend! I wanted to blast this news all over my social media this morning.. Facebook it and tweet it and Instagram it .. but KG is too cool for such mediums. She does read this cob-webby 'ol thang from time to time though, so I figured I could express my excitement here. I GET TO SEE YOU SO SOON, KG!!!

My relationship to KG is similar to what I imagine relationships are like between Vietnam veterans who fought together in the war and came out on the other side. I admit that this may be a slightly insensitive comparison. KG and I did not fight in war together, but we did go to grad school together. We taught English 101 to bratty freshman together, and we [barely] survived a brutal South Dakota winter together. We read a ton of books and wrote a ton of papers and were mildly depressed for the winter of 2009/10. Thank GAWD for funk nights at Carey's and boxed wine and her camera and even ST. Thank GAWD we had each other. We came out on the other side.

Big things have changed since those days of cubicle pranks and triple tights. KG has a husband, and I have New York City. We both have student loans. In about 5 hours we get to meet in Union Square and walk to my favorite Indian restaurant to rehash "war stories" over endless naan and Trader Joe's wine. I wish I could go back and tell my 22-year-old, 2nd-semester grad school self that last sentence.

If I could, I'd say, "Girl, you're going to be fiiine. Tell KG, too. Stress less. Listen to more funk."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"