Leftovers: This Could Get Weird.

You know when you have like 5 different kinds of leftovers in your fridge and some random vegetables that will go bad any day and so you sort of put it all together to make two days worth of the most random meals ever created to avoid letting any of it go to waste?? Or, wait, is that just me?

Anyway, this post is sort of going to be that. I have so many starts of drafts and they are filling up space in my draft folder and in my mind. I'm  going to put them all out there, so brace yourself. Things could get weird.

March 2014:

"March Madness"

Good Lord. Is this what my writingh as come to? Shortened lists, monthly summaries, and late anniversary posts? What is this, Thought Catalog? Whatevs, I'm about to do it again.

Some stuff in March:

SS turned 25. She thought it was her Golden Birthday because LJ turned 25 last month, and it was her Golden. So SS thought that everyone's 25th was their golden. It sort of makes sense, but SS's birthday was on the 27th, so we sadly had to inform her that it was, in fact, not Golden. We made up for it by pseudo-surprising her with balloons and homemade cupcakes, and we took an Oscar selfie to commemorate the night. We played a game called "Tell everyone your secrets and have them guess whose secret it is" and it was abs hilarious. Let's just say, someone poisoned his dad's contacts case for revenge, someone peed their pants in blue jean overalls, and someone did crude sexual acts for a boy in exchange for McFlurries. So many truth bombs at that party. Maybe it was Golden.

Mama Lightfield came to visit! I surprised her at the airport and stood a midst a dozen chauffeurs in suits with boards with names like "Charles" and "Richard" on them. I stood with a sign written in hot pink that said "Welcome back to NYC Denise Lightfield!" She didn't see my sign though, so I had to walk up to her, and she screamed in terror/delight. I'm pretty sure TSA was notified. The whole trip was fun and easy and all over the place. We went on a Brooklyn food tour where everything was so hip (local, organic, grass-fed, cage-free, vegan, etc). We saw The Book of Mormon on Broadway, and I laughed so hard I cried (and thus forgot the fact that I paid $30 for two tiny cups of wine and Peanut M&Ms). We went to a Piano Bar and made requests like it was our job and ended the night by eating friend chicken at 3AM in my bed, in an attempt to ward off hangovers in the AM. A lot of other stuff happened too, and we ate SO much. It was wonderful.

I got summoned to Jury Duty, and then was called on to be an alternate juror, and then got bumped up to actual juror. So many promotions! The whole experience was not at all like the Mock Trial Jury I served on in grad school when KS was in Law School, and it was nothing like Law&Order OR My Cousin Vinny (much to my dismay). It was semi-interesting though and entertaining enough to give me "court room giggles" several times. Plus, I got to miss work for three days. I have a blog post to finish about this, I just remembered. Humm.. To be Continued..
_______________________________________________________________
March 2014:

"A Jury of My Peers"

This week I had jury duty, and it was thrilling and dull and funny and serious all at the same time. Basically it's just like what is depicted on TV, only muuuuuch less interesting and muuuuuuch more awkward. I won't bore you with the details of the preceding's, and I'm not sure I could if I wanted to, but I will say that my favorite part of the experience was being thrown together with people with whom the only thing we had in common was that we received Jury Summons on the same date. Few times in life do you find yourself restricted to one little room with 5 total strangers whom you need to communicate and negotiate with until you come up with an almost unanimous conclusion. It's such an interesting human experience! And one that is worthy of analyzing.

So anyway, let me tell you about this jury of peers:

B: He's 72 years old with a thick Alabama drawl and is the kind of old man who you want to sit on a porch with, in rocking chairs listening while he tells you his life story, about how he was drafted in 1969, served in Vietnam for one year, and what happened next. He buys lottery tickets during our lunch breaks and is most upset about serving on the jury because it causes him to miss his favorite show: Queen Latifah.

K: She reminds me of Tina Fey in the coolest way possible, is 35, a commercial producer at an ad agency, and once was bit by a dog in a pet store. She's from SC and tried to maintain residency so she could vote Democratic there. She is who I want to become. Charismatic, a leader, comfortable in her own skin. She brought a big bag of Twizzlers to share with everyone. Her glasses are cooler than mine.

G: He works at UPS from 2AM-9AM and goes to school during the day. He has a gap between his teeth, is always smiling, and is studying for Midterms. He is the youngest of all of us but made a point to shake each of our hands before we all parted ways.

O: She is a Social Strategist at an Ad agency, from Atlanta, and has the kind of reddish/purplish hair that is only available with the help of chemicals. She brings her computer wherever she goes and is on Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter 24/7. She is out spoken, told us she had a family member in prison, and before we delivered our decision she asked the group, "What is our take away from this experience?" She's 22. 

A: He is small framed though tall, and he reminds me of someone SS would spot at a bar and eventually give her number. He wears a bomber jacket, cuffed skinny jeans, and a backward cap, which he takes off only right before entering the courtroom. I thought we might like each other at first, but now I think he might like boys. I wonder if HE'LL be my gay husband. It would be such a CUTE meet-cute to say we met at Jury Duty. If he's straight, SS can have him.

Our group talks about light things like the weather and heavy things like war. We deliberate and eat Twizzlers and all notice that the Bailiff was legitimately asleep during the testimony of the first witness. We made a unanimous decision which awards the plaintiff no money, and even though our stomachs hurt, we agree that it's the best decision. We wave goodbye outside the courthouse and all walk in 6 different directions, likely never to see each other again. Or at least not for another 8 years.
_________________________________________________________________


April 2014:

"Weird Wednesday"

I set next to someone on the train who smelled like moth balls. Once I got to work, I realized that the last time I wore the dress I was wearing was for a few hours for a Friendsgiving. There was a mashed potato stain right in the middle of my chest. The first call I got from a patient complained of a pain in his rectum that he described as "burning like a blow torch." It was not even 9:30AM.

__________________________________________________________________

May 2014:

"My BF KS"

My best friend is moving away and I've very sad about it

We met during a hot and heavy heatwave at the end of July 2011. On a Tuesday night we had dinner, then dessert, and that weekend she let me stay at her apartment because she had an A/C and I did not. We have been friends ever since.

For a long time, KS and I would forget that we were from the same hometown in South Dakota. We would catch ourselves over-explaining details when we told each other stories. I'd say, "There is an Irish pub in  my hometown," and KS would say, "Yes, Dempsey's. I know." She'd say, "I had this Chemistry teacher in HS" and I'd say, "Yes, Mr. Konvalin. I know." After three years, it has finally sunk in that we grew up in the same town, though we have yet to actually spend time together there.

We've logged a lot of hours together, waiting for trains and buses, walking to the movies and to Target. We've spent lazy weekends in each other's apartments, watching something random on Netflix and eating something we'd probably regret the next day. We've spent little days together, random Sunday afternoons laying on a blanket in the park, and we've spent big days together: birthdays parties, fashion shows, football games.

I've spent almost every single holiday with KS. We stood outside for 6 hours to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. On Easter, we went to church then came home to too many mimosas and home cooked ham. On the Fourth of July we watched the Macy's Firework show on the Hudson from a photography studio balcony in the West Village. On Valentine's Day, we ordered pizza and gorged ourselves with homemade brownies and ice cream. Most of my biggest days in NYC have included KS by my side.

We've been an emotional support to each other when we've gone on bad dates or bad interviews, and we've also been each other's physical support, which has been made easier since we've lived less than a block away from each other.

When KS's apartment got broken into, I ran over with travel sized hairspray (couldn't find my pepper spray) and I stayed with her while the police officers searched her apartment.
When I moved from Harlem to Brooklyn, KS and her roommate AP helped me pack, drive, move, unload, drive, not have a mental break down...
When I was too hungover to function after my 27th birthday, KS brought me saltines and Vitamin water and recapped for me everything that had happened the night before.
When we took a cab home from the Tracy Reese fashion show after party, I held her hair back as she... took deep breaths... out the cab window.
We have been there for each other in the highest of highs and lowest of lows.

After almost every single trip that I have taken since moving to Brooklyn, KS has come over and sit on my bed while I unpacked, both my suitcase and my brain. It has become a tradition and one that has helped me adjust back into city life. Being welcomed home by KS has eased the heartache of leaving my family because I've had her to return to, and she is family too. Now as I watch Katie pack up all of her things, in boxes not suitcases, I'm having a hard time comprehending that she won't be coming back. This time, there will be no unpacking, at least not together.

_____________________________________________________________________

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposites Game