Some Notes on February

Because a good friend once told me, "Write everything down. Even if it's just notes." So here are some notes on February.. 

As per my annual tradition, I cheered for the offense at the Super Bowl. I went to the boys' new Williamsburg apartment to "watch" the game, and at half time we went on the roof to see the NYC skyline. I wore SD's sweater but still shivered at the sight, and remembered, "Oh yeah, I live here!" CS, SS, and I left before the end of the game and bought cookies from Momofuku for the bus ride home.

I flew to San Francisco to see my westie bestie GG! Though it rained the entire time, and I had an "incident" with the floor that I'll tell you about later, the trip was still pretty amazing. My favorite part was laying in G's bed watching "Francis Ha." There's a scene in the beginning of the film when Francis and her best friend are laying in bed watching something on their computer, and at that part I turned to G and said, "OMG that's us right now!" We tried to recreate the scene via Instagram, but the hilarity of the situation did not transfer so well. Still, I haven't laughed that hard in a while. 

On the eve of Valentine's Day,  I went to a Galentine's Day party where a gaggle of girls ate, drank, painted our nails, and shared horror dating stories. Mine was a top contender. The next day I got a perfectly sweet VDay text from a perfectly sweet guy, and I spent Valentine's night with KS, 1 delivered pizza, and a pan of homemade brownies. I felt the love.

To celebrate CH's 26th birthday, the regular group of girls and gays met at Buttermilk Channel for a candlelit birthday dinner. Bey and Blue Ivy had been photographed at the restaurant once for brunch, and we were all very excited to eat where our queen had eaten. When I was in the bathroom, I realized that had Beyonce used the bathroom when she was there, that would mean both of our bums would have graced the same toilet! This excited me more than is normal. 

LJ and I met up on a Thursday for beer and Vietnamese sandwiches in Cobble Hill. I also ordered a spring roll which looked like a you-know-what. I laughed about that for days. On my way home I took the wrong train and didn't realize until I was in Manhattan. I swear I shared a subway car with a guy I went on a date with 3 years ago. I looked down at my shoes the entire time. It had not been a good date.

On a beautiful and surprisingly warm and sunny Sunday, I met SW for tea and a walk through Fort Greene park. He had lost his wallet, so we prayed to St. Anthony to help him find it (which he did).  I looked at his sore throat and told him that he probably had strep throat (which he did). I felt very validated in my intuition that day.

I babysat Z and S since ELM was home sick with a brutal throat thing (the medical term, of course). It was the eve of Z's 10th birthday, and I took the girls to the corner diner where we colored pictures while we waited for our food. S asked me if "they had maple syrup when you were a kid." Innocently insinuating, I think, that I am very old. At the end of the night, Z and I sat in bed with ELM, and she told us "the story of Z." I felt lucky that they're a part of my story now.

SS came over after my work out class on Tuesday and we drank spiked hot chocolates in my bed and had girl talk. She met my new downstairs neighbor who likes the Miami-tanned version of a vampire, and she promised to identify him if something ever happens to my roommates and me. I feel reassured that we have a witness.

I celebrated the birthdays of three of my favorite BK babies at Bushwick Country Club. At the end of the night, I carried a piece of funfetti cake outside with me and gave the last bite to a homeless man. He proceeded to follow us down the street, offering to tell us jokes for a dollar. I learned my funfetti lesson.

DB and I met for lunch on the top floor of the Zuckerman building where we work. She told me all about her most recent interviews for a PhD program she is starting in the fall. I felt so proud of her, yet still so sad she's leaving me and NYC. We complained about boys, too, and at the end of lunch split a piece of dark chocolate that I found in the bottom of my purse.

I played homemade charades with SS and approx 23 gay men at DB's furniture-less apartment for his birthday. We sat on the floor, eating popcorn and mozzarella sticks, making guesses at outlandish gestures. Eventually, we turned down the lights, turned up the Beyonce, and had a faaaabulous dance party. I made slight progress in trying to nail down a gay husband.

I also sang karaoke, made a new work out friend, got my hair cut, had a skype date with an old friend and her new baby. I tried new recipes, discovered a new route to take to work, and spent a whole hour scrubbing the grouting in my bathtub. February. It was a very busy month.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"