Love You

The phone rings, and it's a little old lady with a little old lady name and a little old lady voice. She starts telling me all of her symptoms to relay to Dr. L. She has tried two different dietary regiments recommended by two different physicians, but she thinks it's the chocolate covered pomegranate seeds that she's been eating that have really done the trick to make her feel better.  I slightly roll my eyes because since we're on the phone, she can't see me, and because this is an absurd logical fallacy. After I take down each painstaking detail of her elaborate theory, I begin to end the conversation.

I say, "I'll give this message to the doctor and nurse, and someone will be getting back to you." Then we both say "thank you" and "you're welcome" at the same time, and right before I hang up my phone, I say, "Love you." ......DID I JUST SAY I LOVE YOU?! She says something that sounds like, "Err..?" and I say something that sounds like, "I'm sorry." Then I put down the phone fast, like it's a hot potato, and I freeze in disbelief.

RS sitting in the cubicle next to mine says, "Did you just say to that patient-I love you?" YES, YES I DID. Then we all laugh until we cry, and I tell Dr. L, the nurse, and fellow, and we laugh until we cry again. Now I'm known as "I love you girl," and I have to say, I don't really mind. Love you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"