Those days when you get the mean reds

Friday night was so frigid and after having dinner and drinks with the girls, I came home, put on an obscene number of layers of clothing, and turned on Breakfast at Tiffany's. The thing is, I have never actually seen the film, and I have always felt a little bit like a fraud for it. As such a huge supporter of class, black dresses, and country girls who move to the city, I should have made this a priority much sooner in life. Audrey, I'm sorry. But thanks to Neflix's addition to its library, I emjamacated myself on this iconic nugget of American culture, and now I have some thoughts. Mainly, I think that the movie is kind of weird. The party scene made me feel like I was on a bad trip, and I don't know if you know this, but Micky Rooney's character is supa racist. And Holly Golightly is inconsiderate and selfish and kind of dumb. Why do people love her so? But don't get me wrong, it's all very visually striking and silly and with the help of some serious suspended disbelief, it's actually quite a lovely love story. Also, I really loved this part:



“The mean reds, you mean like the blues?”

“No. The blues are because you’re getting fat and maybe it’s been raining too long; you’re just sad, that’s all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you’re afraid and you don’t know what you’re afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling? …Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany’s. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it. Nothing very bad could happen to you there. If I could find a real-life place that’d make me feel like Tiffany’s, then — then I’d buy some furniture and give the cat a name!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"