One Day: Two Perspectives

Monday, June 4th, 2012: I Have a Bad Attitude!

  • Today was real shitty. 
  • First, it was cold and rainy and Monday. It was also National Old Maid's Day. The batteries were dead on my ipod and iphone and since I left my charger in Brooklyn, I was music-less for my whole 30 minute commute to work. 
  • I got to work, started up my computer, and did what I do. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Gchat, HuffingtonPost, repeat. 
  • Then I found out that my current temp job is going to expire soon which is going to mean an uncertain future of starting over AGAIN. 
  • Lunch was Mexican food but they were all out of guacamole by the time I got to take my break at 1:30. 
  • A couple hours later I found out that I didn't get the dream library job that my Theta-fairy godmother was trying to help me land. The job that I was perfect for and was perfect for me. The job that was in my neighborhood, was directly related to my education and experience, and had my name written all over it. That job. They  gave it to someone else.
  • Then I dragged my disappointed butt home, stuck my head in my fridge to investigate, and realized that all I had was one single egg and a soda bottle of vodka. 
  • I remembered the coconut shrimp I picked up at Trader Joe's on a drunken walk home one night, and then also remember our pilot light is out in our oven. I called Super Angel and found out through several translators that Angel isn't our super anymore. Then I called Super Caesar (the new guy) and Spanglished out enough details to ask for his help. He came over an hour later, looked at the oven, and said he couldn't help. No auydar. 
  • I cooked the breaded shrimp in a frying pan and big surprise: I burnt them. 
  • I sat down on my bed. No job, no hope, no pilot light. Bad luck and burnt shrimp.

Monday, June 4th, 2012: I Have a Good Attitude!

  • Today was delightful. I woke up to a simple, genuine email from a good friend that said, "I love you deeply." It's amazing how reading that first thing in the morning really makes a person feel full.
  • Without the background music of my iPod, I listened to the raw sounds of the city on my morning commute to work and reminded myself where I live.
  •  I went to work where I had free breakfast (like I get every morning!) and the hours flew by. I got paid to go on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and the HuffingtonPost. 
  • I had a great gchat with GG, as always. She said she'd dropbox me the new Regina Spektor album. Also, my mom got gmail so we chatted during the day too which was pretty great and hilarious. 
  • My boss at the temp job told me that they would probably be bringing in someone full-time soon, and she would give me ample warning. She said that it would probably coincide with my July trip back to SD.
  •  Lunch was free! (It is every day!) And even though they were out of guacamole, there was tex mex salad, shrimp fajitas, and more.
  • A couple hours later I found out that I didn't get the dream library job that my Theta-fairy godmother was trying to help me land. I remembered that I would be seeing her the next day, and felt better remembering her email when she promised to help me find something.
  • I left work and got on the E train to stop at AP's office before going home to pick up my phone charger and to borrow a dress for the USD alumni event. I got to see AP and MR which perked me up and was so excited to get the dress home to try on. 
  • When I got home I checked my mail, and I had THREE CARDS--not bills--from people that I love. It was the perfect pick-me-up after the disappointing news on the job front, and it made me think that somewhere someone has a plan (and it's ok if it's not me). I felt so loved. 
  • I went up to my apartment and had some grocery/oven/cooking issues, but I made due like I always do. I was hungry, and I was fed. I reminded myself that even when life/the refrigerator seems hopeless, big surprise, there is always something to scrounge up. 
  • I tried on the Tracy Reece dress that AP loaned me and felt a much-needed confidence boost. I was immediately excited for the alumni reception the next night and felt like, "Hey, I do have something to offer!"
  • I put sweats back on and walked to the grocery store to buy fresh fruit and vegetables and frozen waffles for a treat. 
  • I sat on my bed. I had letters, I had groceries, I had people who love me. Good day and plenty of blueberries.

    Comments

    Post a Comment

    Leave me a message!

    Popular posts from this blog

    The Opposites Game