Self-Justification

I'm going back to South Dakota again in a week, for a week. It's kind of random because I was just back a month ago, and the sane, fiscally responsible version of myself would say, "I'm unemployed. I'm running out of money. I think I should stay put and eat canned tuna and apply for hundreds of jobs every day." But if you didn't already know this about me, I'm not a sane, fiscally responsible person. If I was, I would have never come to NYC in the first place! So instead of hanging out alone in my tiny New York apartment falling further and further into a unemployed depression, I got on priceline and started looking for flights home. And here is my self-justification, what I tell myself when I check my bank account and start to freak:
"Amanda, calm down. You're ticket was cheap, and what you spent in airfare, you'll save by hanging out in South Dakota for a week eating your mom's free food. New York is expensive, yo!"

"Amanda, it's the perfect time! You don't have anything holding you down, and you get to go to Vermillion for the Theta reunion AND drink beer with little Lightfield at Carey's for the very first time. You get to re-live college with most of your favorite college friends on a Saturday night in downtown Vermillion!! Duh."

"Amanda, you can look for jobs all week in Watertown without being constricted to the confines of the long, white walls of your Harlem apartment. You'll be way more productive in Watertown, too. I just know it."

"Amanda, it's two trips in one! You found an amazing deal so you can stop in Chicago to see EH for the weekend on your way back to NYC! You would never be able to afford this (time or money) otherwise! You miss her!"
"Life is short. And this is why God gave us Visa."
So that's it! I'm putting temping on hold for a week so I can go home, see most of my favorite people in some of my favorite places, do some serious job hunting, and then stop over in Chi-town to see my old Harlem homegirl.

And don't you dare make me feel guilty about it!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"