Preheating is for pussies

KS and I are planning our first big NYC holiday meal together (at least the first one we're cooking ourselves), and it caused me to first realize and then to confess to KS, that... I'm not very good at this. I mean, I'm really good with food when it's a finished product, but I'm not good at the whole cooking/baking/preparing thing. I don't even have a cookie sheet.

My cooking philosophy has always kind of been...

1. Use the right ingredients... or the ingredients you can find. Either/or. And really, how big of difference can there be between baking powder and baking soda? Between olive oil and vegetable oil? One time I made cookies and I flat out forgot to put butter in them. It was fine. No one died.

2. When it comes to actually combining ingredients, I tend to put them together in the easiest/most logical way possible. Usually I try to use the least amount of bowls, plates, and utensils as possible. Easier clean up, right?

3. Finally, I turn on some heat. Whether it's the stove or the oven, if it's producing heat, it works for me. The temperature and duration of heating are of very little concern. I check on the food often, and most of the time it turns out fine. Also, I never preheat. Preheating is for pussies.

Last year DP came for Easter, and he must have done all of the work because I literally cannot remember doing any of the actually cooking myself. I think I put the olives in the bowl?

This year's going to be different. This year we're using recipes.
KS is going to need to help me. God is going to need to help me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"