Nanny Notes: I don't fit in.



When I go to drop off or pick up the boys at school, or when I take JT to a music or toddler tumbling class, people don't know what to think of me. The moms look at me and think, "She can't be a mom. Just look at her clothes and her naked left hand." The nannies look at me and think, "She can't be a nanny. She's young, and the kids look just like her." The truth is, I don't look like the typical upper west side mom, and I don't look like the typical upper west side nanny. I just look out of place.

At school or class or the playground, the moms all stand together holding starbucks cups and talking with each other about hot yoga or Aspen trips or organic food. The nannies all stand together with tired shoulders and knees talking about what time they get off, how disorganized their bosses are, and how poorly adjusted those kids are going to be when they grow up.

I've decided that this just isn't going to work for me. Just because I don't look like what they expect to see, I am who I am. A white, 25-year-old with a Master's degree with a job that is compromised of women who don't look, sound, or act like me. I'm going to make these people like me if it's the last thing I do!

And then I'm going to write all about it.. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposites Game