MY F*R*I*E*N*D*S

I have looked everywhere, but my life in New York City does not include a Central Perk coffee shop. There is no Gunther. I don't live in an 1100 square foot apartment left to me by a fictional grandmother (Also, they just plain don't exist). Finally, I don't live within a 20 foot radius of all my best friends.

BUT...

I do have friends: a struggling actor, a fashion designer, a girl who went to my High School. Luckily for me, my own special collection of NYC friends consists of far more dimensional characters than those of Ross, Rachel, Monica, Chandler, Joey, and Phoebe. (Not that I don't still love those guys). I'd love to tell you about (some of) my friends.



 KS
KS and I went to high school together yet we never really knew each other until we met up for dinner for the first time in July at a place by Union Square. Fortunately for me, KS had just moved back to the city, but unfortunately for her, she had done it during the awful heat wave of 2011. We became fast friends, and KS graciously shared her air conditioning with me that week making her an instant friend-angel in my book. We've been Husker-cheering, Ikea/Target-shopping, parade-watching, girl-talking friends ever since. It's funny because even though KS and I are from the same small South Dakota town, I consider her my NYC friend. It's the best when one of us is telling a story and we say something like, "There is this place in my hometown..." or "I had this Chemistry teacher in high school who..." and then we remember that we're actually from the same place. I love it when it happens.


AP
AP is KS's roommate and is a designer for Tracy Reese. She works a zillion hours a week at a job that I like to think is a lot like Whitney Port's job on "The City," though I'm sure it's a lot more stressful, less glamorous, and let's be honest, an actual job. I love AP's sense of humor, taste in movies, and listening to her talk about her work. Plus, she's letting me help out back stage during the Tracy Reese fashion show next week! Apparently I will be be assigned a model and a partner and my job will be to "help her get dressed inhumanly fast and send her back out onto the runway." I told AP that my work getting three boys dressed for school every morning has been more than enough training for this job. I'm pumped!


TB
Don't we look so fun?!
(I obviously need to get a pic of TB.. who is a photographer.)
TB is the latest edition to my cast of comrades, though it feels like we've been friends for much longer. Even though she's from Malibu and I was in a sorority in college, we defy [each other's] stereotypes and are just a couple of weirdos who like to order in, drink vodka, and think of funny stuff. (We go out sometimes, too). I'm a huge cheerleader for TB's work (she's a photographer- check out her stuff!), and she's been a big cheerleader for my writing, too. We're working on a web series project together that has a lot of potential but a scared and insecure writer (that's me). Luckily, she knows this about me and still likes me. Look forward to a funny, silly, carefully produced, yet shoddily written web series coming to a youtube channel near you!


DH
DH and I met in the greatest college town in America at the coffee shop on campus when I was a barista and DH was my manager for a few months in graduate school. We bonded over fraps, caps, and lattes, and when DH moved to the city this winter to pursue an acting career, we met for lunch and discussed all the ways to make money in the city while still trying to find time to do what we love. I told him all about temping and nannying and he told me about event staffing and bartending boot-camp. DH was my date for my first ever Moth Story Slam, and I am so happy that he now loves it as much as I do! I can't wait for more story slamming adventures.


HK
HK is my replacement roommate who challenges every horror story that you've ever heard about Craig's list because that's how we found each other, and we're a match made in roommate-heaven. HK is from upstate NY, and has five sisters, one who lives in the city. I knew when we met that if she could survive living with five sisters, and I could survive with living with 60 sorority sisters, we would be just fine. We both clean, we both keep the brita water filter full, and we both keep the popcorn supply fully stocked. Our Mad Men and Harlem dinner dates are much needed mid-week traditions. Even though our work schedules are opposite and we can go days without actually seeing each other, I'm extremely lucky that HK is the kind of roommate I miss seeing instead of the other way around. 

EO
OE and I met seven years ago when I first came to the city visit EH at AADA. Fortunately for all of us, EH and OE remained friends, and I got to join in on the fun when I moved to NYC last January. EO graciously let EH and I sleep on her futon before we found the apartment where I now live, and she opened her family's beautiful Massachusetts home to us when we needed a break from the city. Her dad is an AMAZING pastry chef, and the whole weekend was heavenly. Now EH has left the city, but OE and I are still here, just two Leo girls who share an affinity for naps and juicy burgers.


EH

Ok so EH isn't technically a NYC friend because we didn't meet in NYC and she doesn't live in NYC. But without EH first exploring this uncharted territory in 2004, I can't imagine that I would be in Harlem typing this blog. Actually I know that I wouldn't be here (at least not in Harlem!). Though I'm sad that she is no longer partaking in big city adventures with me, I'm so luck that I had her here to hold my hand as I first got to know this place I call home. And now I can't wait for her to come visit me for a change!

There you have it.. the main characters of my NYC life (so far). Now if I can just figure out the plot...



[Note: MG inspired this post with her FRIENDS-like comparison! Thanks for the idea!!]

[Note Dos: I didn't include all of my NYC because I didn't want to sound too "braggy" haha.. But if you're not on this list and you want to be, call a girl up! Chances are I'll be free..]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposites Game