"So what's it like in North Dakota?"

A reoccurring conversation that I have literally had no less than 50 times since moving to New York City:

Person: So are you from New York?
Me: No, I moved here a year ago. I'm from South Dakota, actually.
P: South Dakota?! (pauses in brief contemplation) I don't think I've ever met anyone from South Dakota.
M: Yeah... I get that a lot.
P: What's South Dakota known for? That mountain with the president faces?
M: Yeah... that's Mount Rushmore.
P: Wow, so is it really cold in North Dakota?
M: Well, I'm from South Dakota, not North Dakota. There's a big difference. And yeah, it's pretty cold. 
P: What's the difference between North and South Dakota?
M: South Dakota is cold, flat, and has a small population. North Dakota is even colder, flatter, and has an even smaller population. Also, we have Mount Rushmore.
P: (awkward laughing) Cool.
M: Cool.

Sometimes I like to throw in a tid bit about the corn palace or the fact that there are more cows in SD than people.. but I only do this with people aren't already looking at me like I'm a circus freak.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposites Game