It's Gettin Hot in Herrr

Remember when I used to complain about how LOUD it is outside my bedroom window every night?! Well, somewhere between then and now, with the help of thick, dark curtains, and my air purifier that I call hurricane Katrina, I have learned to sleep through whatever NYC is getting into outside my bedroom window.

Last night, on a whim, I decide not to close my thick, dark curtains (because I just bought some cute new panels at Ikea. Adorable; I'll show you), and not to turn on hurricane Katrina (because my roomie's gone for the weekend, and I have an irrational fear of being robbed). So I'm deep in don't-have-to-work-Monday slumber when I wake up to flashing lights and breaking glass and chainsaw noises coming through my windows. Also, I was very hot in my flannel pj's. I look out the window and see seven fire trucks outside on my street. SEVEN. I freak out at first because I'm sweating and OMG IS MY BUILDING ON FIRE?!? It's not, but El Chory Deli across the street is! I text my new roomie, my old roomie, and my mom. This is unbelievable! Smoke is billowing out of the windows, and I see hot FDNY firefighters breaking windows and doors to get in, carrying hoses inside, and going up that ladder thing. IT'S JUST LIKE A MOVIE, but it's not a movie because the square box that I'm watching through isn't a TV; it's my window! (Btw this has not been the first time I've seen some movie-quality drama outside this window). I try to take some pics with my phone, but they don't really turn out, and my video is even less successful at capturing the scene. I look all around for ambulances, but thankfully it appears that no one is hurt. After 45 minutes of sitting on my piano bench staring out my bedroom window, I decide that watching a fire being put it is kind of dull after a while, so I crawl back into bed and have a smoking hot firefighter dream instead.

I'm very sad that I'll have to find another sleazy bodega in the neighborhood to buy emergency Diet Coke and toilet paper (though LS did some research, and El Chory did have insurance. THANK GOD) :). But I think I'm most disturbed that had I employed my usual sleep regiment of curtains and purified air, I might have missed the whole dang thing! [This reminds me of the time in Theta when I was half way into a bowl of mini-wheats at breakfast and everyone started talking about the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night and having to evacuate to across the street, which was all news to me because apparently I had slept right through the whole thing! And no one noticed!]

Here are some not-so impressive pics I tried to take last night:
6:00 AM: Never too early to check out hot firefighters.

This morning's aftermath

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposites Game