Another little thing I'm OBSESSED with..

There is a column in the Style Section of the Sunday Times that I am OBSESSED with (I claim to be obsessed with a lot of things, I'm realizing. I need a new word...) Anyway, LS introduced me to Modern Love a few years ago with an article that even though I can't recall the specifics I'm guessing had something to do with being single... go figure. I've been an avid reader ever since, excitedly waiting for a new story to laugh or cry with over a bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats each Sunday. My favorite thing about Modern Love is that each essay is true and is written by someone who is real and honest and probably hurt and yet still alive. And the interpretation of "modern love" goes beyond romantic relationships (luckily, so I have a shot at relating). Ok so that's like 3 favorite things, but it's just SO good.

I have a now not-so-secret fantasy of submitting an essay myself, so I've been doing some major research to figure out how to keep my story from getting rejected immediately. In researching, I found a Q&R with Daniel Jones, the founding editor of the column, and it turns out that he's not at all a mushy romantic, but instead just a lover of a great story. I like that, and I like the last question and his response. That's love.

Q: You’ve been married for quite some time now. Do you have any insights into what it takes to maintain a successful relationship?

R: I don’t know… We are very good friends to each other, and we do similar work, and we’ve gone through the tough times. I don’t know that we’ve always had some exemplary marriage. But we worked through the problems and stuck it through. Neither of us are very romantic in like, gift-giving, but we love to make each other laugh. It works for us.

Fall in love with Modern Love too!
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/features/style/fashionandstyle/columns/modernlove/index.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposites Game