194 days

EH and I have lived in our apartment for 194 days without cable, and it's been fine (sarcastic, alert) just fine.

We have a TV, and we connect it to our computers to watch Netflix and Hulu which allows us to watch some shows, but it is a definite hassle. We live in New York City, so it's not like we spend a ton of time wanting to sit and watch mindless television. But we have our moments. And then there are those TV occasions like, for example, the Superbowl, when we had to go to a Manhattan bar and drink $8 beers (I sipped mine all night long). There were more people in our group than we had chairs, and EH and I had to share one. It was fine, but we wished we had cable.

Also, it would have been nice to have cable for the Oscars. At the time, I was sick with the flu (having just returned from the Poconos babysitting adventure) and wanted desperately to snuggle in with some soup watching red carpet grandeur all night. I tried to find it online but was unsuccessful. Instead, I looked at pictures and read articles online the next day, which was fine.

Even though there is a lot of crap on television, without cable I found myself desperately missing the news. I tried to watch the Today Show and CBS Nightly News on my computer, but was only able to watch the programs the following day. I watched yesterday's news for a few weeks before admitting how pathetic the situation was and giving up. Keep in mind that I live in the city where these two shows are taped. Oh, the irony. I missed Katie Couric, Matt Lauer, and Anne Curry, but I read the news instead, and it was fine.

So all in all, EH and I have survived without cable, but we've longed for it still. And then a funny thing happened. One of my potential new roommates (PNR's) came over to meet and to see the apartment. I told her that we have cable internet, but no cable. She said that we should still have basic channels. Her friends on the Upper East Side did, she told us. EH and I looked at each other across from the room, and when she left, we ran to the TV and took out the cable cord from the internet router and plugged it into the TV. And. It. Worked.

EH and I sat down mesmerized by the blue glow of the TV screen. We watched a diving competition for 20 minutes. We laughed at commercials. We watched an informercial about a glorified sports bra. Even with only 18 channels (of which all were airing Sunday afternoon junk) we were in heaven.

194 days and all we had to do was plug it in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposites Game