I'm READING again!

Books and I took a break for a while. We still loved each other and remained close, but books have been forcing their medieval language and epistemological structures on me for years, and after graduation, I just needed a break. Now I'm back and I'm not ashamed to be completely immersing myself in the "popular crap" my professors have been warning me about for years. Screw you guys; books and I are back on!

I'm currently reading three, and even though they don't contain any scholarly research whatsoever they make my laugh and make me forget that I'm sitting on a stinky train or am all alone on a Friday night. I love them for that. And although parents aren't supposed to play favorites, I definitely am. Stephen King's On Writing is getting the most attention this week for the way that King intertwines the art of story telling with his own personal stories. Even though I am confident that this is the only thing of his that I will ever read, I'm inches away from listing this as one of my favorite books on Facebook. Yeah, it's that serious.

Even though even Stephen King is a book-snob...

"Books are a uniquely portable magic. I usually carry one wherever I go. You just never know when you'll want an escape hatch: mile-long lines at tool booth plazas, the fifteen minutes you have to spend in the hall of some boring college building waiting for your advisor... to come out so you can get his signature on a drop-card, airport boarding lounges, laundromats on rainy afternoons, and the absolute worst, which is the doctor's office when the guy is running late and you have to wait half an hour in order to have something sensitive mauled. At such times I find a book vital. If I have to spend time in purgatory before going to one place or the other, I guess I'll be all right as long as there's a lending library (if there is it's probably stocked with nothing but novels by Danielle Steel and Chicken Soup books, ha-ha, joke's on you, Steve)."
--On Writing, by Stephen King

Comments

  1. I just finished reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Definitely an easy, quick read. I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"