Happy Birthday Little Lightfield!!!

I loved you at first, right away I did. You were like my own dolly but louder and smellier, but softer too. Mom taught me the word gentle, and I was, for the first year or so.

But then you became annoying and very sticky, and you ate all the red popsicles. You stayed at Loxie's during the day when I had to go to school, and I hated that. Then we shared barbies and bunk beds and eventually a walk to school. We wrestled together and faked sick together, and you were still pretty annoying, but a little less sticky.

Soon I moved to my own teenage room in the basement with tie dye curtains and a Leonardo Dicaprio poster, leaving you behind with crayon sheets and a twin mattress. We secretly still played barbies sometimes, but I denied it in front of my friends.

In middle school, high school, and college I watched as you danced and learned and grew, and then you eventually moved into the teenage room in the basement. We had different friends, different styles, and different tastes, but still told each other to "read the board" from time to time. I decided to blow that SD popsicle stand and move to Pennsylvania leaving the parental units in your care.

But suddenly it was the day that I had to tell you very bad news, and the next day we laid in my bed trying to ignore the casseroles and sympathy upstairs. You asked me not to go, and I promised I wouldn't. I wonder if you remember? And from then on everything was different. We said "read the board" a lot, but we said, "I love you" even more.

I couldn't go to Pennsylvania anymore because we needed to all be together.  Mom and I sat in the stands and in the audience as we watched you kick you senior year's ass by being homecoming royalty, class vice president, and the recipient of scholarships, awards, and much deserved respect. You cheered for the team, and I cheered for you.

Then you left Watertown and met me in my second hometown, Vermillion, where for a year and a half we met for meals in the MUC, meals at Murder House, and meals at Theta. (Sometimes we got together without food, but rarely). You made me proud as a legacy, and we gushed over Greek life (the real and the ABC Family versions). We talked about boys and grades and English 101 and everything.

Then I decided that the time had come and it was ok for me to leave. Now I'm in NYC, but you are in good hands at 715 and mom is in good hands with you. You still make me proud and sometimes you still annoy me (I know I annoy you too). And even though you're 20 today, you still get sticky sometimes.

I've loved every cute, playful, frustrating, catty, sorrowful, and now adult memory with you. Now come visit me in Harlem, or I'll kick your butt and I won't be gentle.

Happy Birthday Little Lightfield!!

Comments

  1. I love this so much! This is the sweetest birthday present ever- thank you so much - it brought tears to my eyes (which is awkward because I'm at the library)! I miss you and I can't wait to see you soon!Love you - (read the board)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful to read. I loved it. It makes me wish I that I had a sister....

    Happy Birthday, Little AL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"