Workin' Hard for my Money!

I have a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree. I can teach, write, snow blow, and make superb brownies. I am tall so I can reach things on the top shelf, and I'm friendly, so I'll do it if you ask politely. Despite my many talents and skills, I still painfully unemployed.

During the few weeks left that I'm spending in South Dakota, I have been determined to make as much mola as possible before I'm unemployed in one of the most expensive cities in America. This has involved selling old clothes to D's closet, selling old books on half.com, and selling my bed on craig's list. There's been some sketchy interactions, but I've made almost $200. Next, I decided to pick up some shift's at Dempsey's, where I serve as the worst waitress on staff (yet ironically, the most highly educated). My immediate confession to my patrons that "I just started" has made up for my lack of experience, and the tips have actually been quite good. Just don't ask me what wienershitzle and spatzle is (or how to spell it)... I'm still not sure. My last cash effort has been with the generous TJ family. They paid me to put away their beautiful Christmas decor and dogsit while they were in Mexico, and this week I'm hanging out with the 13 year old while her parents are at their cabin in the Black Hills. I'm not sure how much I'll get paid, but I get to spend the week drinking expensive coffee in the morning and crawling into expensive sheets at night, so I really can't complain.

While I still don't have any promising leads for a job in the city, I am becoming more confident in my ability to make due by selling my stuff and lowering my job standards. If nothing else, I might pull a Coyote Ugly. My name will be Dakota, and I'll market myself as the Catholic, English teacher from South Dakota; that's got to be like 3 fantasies in one, right? But I wouldn't mind having a job that used my Master's degree either...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"