RIP Facebook

You know what I hate?? I hate when I have an idea, a light-bulb-going-off, this-is-going-to-make-me-millions, can't-wait-for-my-10-year-reunion kind of idea, and then, I realize that someone has already thought of it. Lately, I've been working on a piece for my creative non-fiction class looking at death and technology. I want to look at how technology in the 21st century makes grief and moving on more difficult than it was 100 or 200 years ago. I want to explore how facebook profiles, email addresses, and phone numbers of dead people are both haunting and healing for those who grieve. Ultimately, I want to reach some sort of conclusion about letting go of the dead: the real and the virtual. But this morning I made the mistake of googling it, and it turns out that this idea has already been written about, and not only that, but it has been written about in a much more convincing and provoking way. Ugh. Typical. Any-who, I still think the idea is interesting, and I'm still going to continue writing about it. I'll post later, once it's revised. Here's an image by someone who had the lightbulb-million dollar-10 year reunion idea first.

And ok, ok. Maybe it's not so stellar of an idea to begin with...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"