The light that cried wolf

I drove 337 miles to Lawrence, KS this weekend with my "check engine" light on the whole way, but nothing bad happened. I'm beginning to think that my "check engine" light is full of shit.

Pulling into Lawrence felt good. Iowa street, Tennessee street, Kentucky street, Mass street. I remembered the streets like fingers remember on a keyboard, and soon I was at KG's front step first recognizing CS curls as she stood on the porch to welcome me.

We sat and talked surrounded by the wood paneled walls in KG's apartment, and in between bites of chickpea curry and rice, we filled each other in on everything that I had missed in Lawrence since June. Who is dating? Who broke up?  Where are you working? How is the new apartment?

We went down to Mass street, toasted a drink to my dad at the Jazz Haus, and went dancing at the Jackpot. I sweat so much I had to pull my hear back, but I didn't stop. I didn't know the songs or the people I was dancing with, but I didn't stop. I saw a boy and a girl humping on a bench where my coat was. Then, I stopped.

The next day I went to Lenexa with KG to see her work and get some work done of my own. It rained on the way home, and we told stories of things we think about or want to write about. When we pulled into town, we went directly to the Burger Stand where we listened to "Stand by Me" and watched as a leak in the roof dripped down into a bucket on the floor. It reminded me of a Berenstain Bear book.

JW came over and we drank drinks on the porch in the dark as the rain fell. We listened to Pandora and watched as a strange man across the street stumbled dangerously close to oncoming traffic. We changed while we danced, and went downtown to the Replay for live music.

A guy name Ralph painted my face and JW's face before the Cloud Dog show began, and when the music began, I stood up and let it move inside of me. KG and JW and I moved and watched and listened together until the people in front of us started taking off their shirts. Then, we decided to move our moving outside.

KG and I slept in the next day, ate bagels, and walked downtown. We drank expensive soda's at 715 as CS ate a waffle, and then KG and I went home and napped. We layed in bed until it got dark out and talked about how far we have come and how happy we are.

We ate Mexican food and met JW, JP, and ND for sangria at Henry's. We talked about iPhones and iPods and ND and I realized that we hate the exact same thing about Senfeld. We went back to KG's apartment and talked about Train and ST. We wished that he was there, too.

Today, I woke up and drove back to Vermillion, another 337 miles, with my "check engine" light on. I'm beginning to think that it's the light that cried wolf.

Comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"