Sorry, potential future husband

"Sometimes it's like someone took a knife baby,
Edgy and dull and cut a 6-inch valley
Through the middle of my skull
At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet
And a freight train running through the middle of my head
Only you can cool my desire."
--Bruce Springsteen, "I'm On Fire"

I have always had a headache. It started one day in the 4th grade and never stopped. There are days here and there when I enjoy temporary relief, but more days are ruled by headaches than are not. This isn't true, of course, but it feels like it sometimes, especially lately. My head really hurts.

So, I went to the doctor today hoping that science would do me a favor, for a change, and present me with a cure. 

The nurse asked me to rate my pain on a scale from 1 to 10. I hate when they ask that. I resisted the urge to say, It hurts enough that I'm here. I said "8." Then the doctor came in. He poked and prodded and then tried explaining to me what has been going on inside my head. I thought, Mister, if you only knew...

He scribbled on a paper, and I hope that whatever he wrote is going to fix me. Or least bump me down to a "4," whatever that means..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"