AL in Writer's Digest.. worth the $5 library fine

Lately, I've been overly stimulated, overly worked, and overly active. I haven't had time to stop or think or write about any of the number of things that have been going on these last couple of weeks. There was Jazz Fest, great but always bittersweet, the start of my ESL Summer Institute, also great but completely overwhelming,  and the 2 year anniversary of my dad's accident, which was not so great, but ok thanks to notes, thoughts, and prayers.

I've been feeling run down, so writing and/or thinking (they're sort of synonymous) have seemed like such daunting tasks. Where to begin? But then when I was picking out magazines at the library for my ESL students to read, I stumbled across this months issue of Writer's Digest with my girl Anne Lamott on the front cover. I checked out the magazine and consumed it like it was a thick piece of chocolate cake after a 40 day long fast. I didn't take time to chew; I just swallowed. And everything that she wrote, I loved.  Every idea and memory and warning and appeal was exactly what I needed to hear.

When I went to return it today (after learning that magazine fines are $5 a day!), I found myself unexpectedly locked out of the library along with a dozen other students and the entire library staff. I still don't know what happened, but as I waited I read and re-read the article. I read and re-read this part. I think it started to stick. I'm going to try to be better.

WD: What's the most positive thing you could tell writers today?

AL: That it really matters that they write. It's very inconvenient when you start to say no [to other life obligations], but no is a complete statement, because from now on, hell or high water, I write for two hours a day. It's absolutely the most important thing you can do if that thing is inside you, tugging on your sleeve, hoping you'll notice it there, urging you to be one of the storytellers.



Here is her 1996 interview. It's even better.

http://writersdigest.com/article/anne-lamott-archives/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposites Game