The Starfish Story.. only with ants

In the field of education, I have often been told and re-told the story of the boy and the starfish. I think it is meant to inspire instructors to "make a difference" one student at a time. Here's the story if you're not familiar:

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?” The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.  The surf is up and the tide is going out.  If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.” “Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?  You can’t make a difference!” After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf.  Then, smiling at the man, he said…” I made a difference for that one.”
I thought of this story yesterday, not because I was thinking about teaching or students or even really making a difference. I thought of this story because we have an ant problem. And every time I go in the kitchen for a glass of water or to take out the garbage, I squish an ant. At least one. Or I spray it with Windex. And every time I do it, I think "I made a difference for that one. We may still have an ant problem, but at least there is one less ant."

Thank you, Ed school, for putting pesticide in perspective!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"