Lawrence, KS: My New Home

This June, I'm living in a new house, a new city, a new state. I'm meeting new people, eating new food, listening to new music. I love the newness of this June, but it's nice to find the familiar too. The other day I drove past the Kappa Alpha Theta house on Kentucky St. and this morning I went to mass at the KU Newman Center, and both times I thought, "Hey, that's the same." And it felt comfortable. And it felt nice. (Even though I hate that word).

My dad lived here for a few months when I was a sophomore in college. He loved the college/bar scene a lot and I can see why. Massachusetts street is like the Las Vegas strip for an assortment of college students and college drop outs. Though there are less lights and more homeless people, I suspect. 

KG, CS, and I went out Friday night and danced at Replay and got hit on by a guy with a dragon on his shirt at the Tap Room. Then we walked home, and it was sticky and uphill and I missed Vermillion a tiny bit for the first time since I've been here. Really, I just missed the drunk bus.

KG and I live on the edge of KU's campus, and there are a couple of basketball courts near our backyard. There are hot boys (literally and figuratively) playing almost 24/7 and every time I look out the window or pull up in our driveway and see them, I think of the theme song of the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire. I hope there are no fights.

Yesterday I went with my (new) friends Jenni and John to a man-made lake outside of Lawrence. I had never been to a man-made lake before, and even though there was really nothing noticeably different from a natural lake, I still felt a little bit like a fraud.  I had fun though and have red shoulders to prove it.

Today I took a walk around the KU campus. I walked past a drumming troupe (is that what they're called?) and then just kept walking. I got lost. That would never happen on USD's campus. But eventually I followed my Lewis and Clark intuition and found myself back at the drums. And then the basketball courts. And then home.

Lawrence is my new home (for June, anyway).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"