Eco-criticm and bird by bird..

I'm studying for my MA exams on May 28 (2 weeks-Yikes!).
I find myself drawn back to Whitman, and I found this excerpt in the chapter about him.
I love birds in same way that he does.

"The mystic of the poet of nature is not likely to be a good naturalist: he observes, not so much the facts, the external phenomena, as the qualities that may be translated into terms of human emotion. A bird's song is less an approximation of music on the diatonic scale than a voice of nature which belongs to that bird peculiarly. Thoreau saw subtly rather than accurately; Lowell watched the birds of Elmwood sympathetically rather than closely; and Whitman, notwithstanding his friendship with Burroughts, was precise at one moment and heedless at the next."

Nature in American Literature
By: Norman Foerster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"