After Leaving Mr. Mackenzie

I'm re-reading this book in preparation of my MA Exam on Friday. I have been getting funny looks when people walk past me as I'm reading it. I don't understand why.



A part I like:

"How far back could you remember?

The last time you were really happy--happy about nothing? When you were happy about nothing you had to jump up and down. 'Can't you keep still, child, for one moment?' No, of course you couldn't keep still. You were too happy, bursting with happiness. You ran as if you were flying, without feeling your feet. And all the time you ran, you were thinking, with a tight feeling in your throat: 'I'm happy--happy--happy...'

That was the last time you were really happy about nothing, and you remembered it perfectly well. How old were you? Ten? Eleven? Younger... yes, probably younger."

After Leaving Mr. Mackenzie by Jean Rhys

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"