Grace

My junior and senior years of undergrad, I babysat an adorable 3 (then 4) year old named Grace. Her car seat was a permanent fixture in my backseat because I picked her up from daycare once a week. Every Wednesday when I picked her up, she ran past finger paints and tricycles and jumped into my arms. Every week. Having someone be that excited to see me was the best feeling. It still is. I was excited to see her too. We played tea party and sidewalk chalk and cowgirl. We made forts and grilled cheese sandwiches. She called me "mom" on accident sometimes, and it sort of freaked me out. Grace was a playful distraction from my life at the time, and she helped remind me how fun it is to play.

Eventually Grace and her mom moved away to the land of West River. I wondered how she was liking school and if she would remember me. Then, I got a message from her mom a couple weeks ago saying she would be in Brandon, SD and needed a sitter for Grace and her new baby brother RJ. I said, "Yes!"

When I got to the 2nd floor of the Comfort Inn, I saw the first grade version of the little girl I used to know doing cartwheels in the hallway. She used bigger words and had longer hair. When I said her name, she yelled "Amanda!". She ran up to me, and she gave me a hug. I was glad that I hadn't been forgotten, after all.

That's Grace.

Comments

  1. aww....She is such a sweet girl, sometimes I miss undergrad....I'm glad you got to see her again, and of course you are unforgettable even to a three year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous because 1. she got to see you and 2. you were in Brandon. Cute post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"