Would-a

He would have been 51 today. I would have spent at least 10 minutes in the card isle of Wal-Mart trying to find the funniest/most appropriate birthday card. I would have spent another 10 minutes writing him a personalized message. In the card, I would have told him that he was turning into an old man...that he was looking more like Grandpa every day. (He was looking more like my Grandpa every day). I would have bought him a gift certificate to buy new fishing lures. And red licorice. I would have burned him a copy of the Neil Young greatest hits album that I just bought. I would have had it in the mail on Friday so he would get it by Saturday.

I would have called him to wish him a happy birthday. We would have talked about the healthcare reform bill and the KU loss. Mostly he would have explained these two things to me. I would have asked questions and he would have answered them. We would have talked about the flooding at Blue Dog Lake. And Bitter Lake. He would have asked me about school, and I would have complained about one of my students. He would have said, "Piss on her!" I would have talked about my busy week. I would have said that I had to get back to work.

I would have said, "I'll see you when I come home for Easter". He would have said, "Do you want to talk to your mom?" I would have said, "Nah." He would have said, "I love you." I would have said, "Love you too".

But that's not the way that today went. Instead, my mom, sister, and aunt and I met for lunch in Sioux Falls. We cheers a Mountain Dew. Then, Little AL and I argued about the weather and we listened to him sing on our drive back to Verm. I thought of him and of this song.

If he would have known how it would be, I think this is what he would have said:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"