18 months

In the first 18 months of a human being's life, a lot changes. From that first traumatic experience of coming into the cold, sterile world to eventually learning how to walk and talk and explore, those first 18 months hold a lot of growth and development.

It seems surprising to me, then, to think about how much has changed in my own life in the last 18 months, yet how my own growth and development has been significantly less steady, to say the least. How can these little, tiny people with little, tiny fingers and tiny, little ears move forward, each day growing, learning, and becoming more aware of the world, and yet for me, though there have been days of growing and moving on, there have been plenty of days of digress? I doubt a 18 month old thinks to his or herself, "Man, remember that awful day I was born? That was awful!" (Ignore the obvious cognitive inability of an 18 month old to formulate ideas like this one). But for me, at 23 years old, that traumatic and life altering event of 18 months ago still stings and haunts and hurts.

This is what my mom wrote on my facebook wall today:
"We've come a long way baby... 18 months"

I guess we have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"