Last Father's Day with a Father

One year ago today I spent what I didn't know then would be the last Father's Day I would spend with my dad. It was an absolutely beautiful Sunday, and Allison and I drove together from Watertown to Waubay to spend the day at the lake. We had planned on buying our dad a new anchor for his boat but instead ended up writing him an IUO and burning him a CD of his favorite songs. When we got to the cabin, Allison went with my mom and grandpa on a "Father's Day drive" and I stayed to hang out with my dad.

Neither of us had much of an agenda (we rarely did) so we decided to drive around the lake and listen to his CD. He loved it. He talked about how cool it was that Allison and I were able to sit down and in 3 minutes come up with his top 20 favorite songs. He said that he knew a lot of other dads whose kids wouldn't be able to do that. He was also pretty impressed by the fact that we
liked all the music on the CD. As we listened to the music, we drove around the lake, stopping to talk to people he knew (which seemed to be everyone we met). He told me stories about his adventures in Waubay and Blue Dog Lake as a kid, teen, and as an adult. In between stories, he would turn up the music and say, "Now this is a great song."

Eventually we ended up back at our cabin and decided to tackle the summer annual task of cleaning up the fire pit. I had been talking about how beautiful it was outside and how it finally felt like summer since I hadn't been able to enjoy the lake or even being outside because of my full-time+ job. I walked down to the fire pit ready to dig in and he told me that it was "really just a one-person job" and that he would take care of it. He said that I could just relax on the deck or lay out and get some sun. Not wanting to be a brat on Father's Day, I insisted that I would help him but he argued strongly that I should just enjoy the nice weather and that he could take care of it. The only condition was that he wanted me to play his new CD loud enough for him to hear on the shore. I looked down at my pale legs and agreed that was a good compromise.. also that he really was an amazing dad.

As the sun began to set, we rode back to Watertown together. He drove and I operated "the tunes" via my ipod. I attempted to introduce him to some new music, Phish, in fact, but eventually we agreed on and listened to John Prine the rest of the way home. We talked lyrics and life. It was a really great day and a memory that I am so thankful to have.

It's Father's Day today and I'm listening his CD right now. Even though he's not sitting shotgun, it still feels like he's here listening too. Cheesy, but true. :)

Three of our favorite John Prine Songs:
1. Angel from Montgomery
2. Daddy's Little Pumpkin
3. Souvenirs

More music lyrics/stories to come..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Yourself Home"