I may not be a learn'd astronomer...

I don't have much to write tonight.. so I'll let Walt Whitman take it away. This is one of my all time favorite poems. It's short and simple. Best of all, it makes me feel better about my inadequacy in understanding simple math and science concepts.. Because by God, I can see the stars.

When I heard the Learn’d Astronomer


WHEN I heard the learn’d astronomer;
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them;
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; 5
Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposites Game